Thursday, January 17, 2013

GOOD START FOR 2013!! JEN 2013 / DOMINICAN NEWS

GOOD START FOR 2013!! 

First, Happy New Year everyone!
I began the year at the Jazz Education Network (JEN) Conference in Atlanta, GA. It was an amazing event! Great performances and clinics. It was great reconnecting with many friends, among them Shawn and Darden Purcell, Don Aliquo, Mike Jenner, Gene Perla, Rubén Alvárez, Dave Stamps, and many more.
We (my family and I) drove from Colorado to Tennessee. They stayed there while I rode to Atlanta with my great friend and phenomenal musician Steve Kovalcheck. The entire trip (CO - TN)  takes about 2 days, but worth every minute. 
Back to Atlanta and the JEN...UNC was very present: 
      • An amazing performance by Lab 1, conducted by Dana Landry
      • Jim White played with Mike Pope's trio. Incredible!
      • Another astounding performance by 7 on 7 (Dana, Jim, Steve, and Erik from UNC plus Don Aliquo, Clay Jenkins, and Paul McKee)
        Then, (DRUM ROLL)... my clinic: It went really well!!! The Learning Center was packed and people really enjoyed what I taught. 
Here is a quote from the blog of Earl McDonald, Jazz Studies Director at the University of Connecticut:
"Effective Tools for Composing/Arranging

 Using Finale.
Socrates Garcia, clinician.
Although I consider myself an experienced/expert user of the Finale music software notation programm I learned a number of valuable, time-saving shortcuts (which I will put into practice this week as I finish up a chart!) This clinic was pure gold." 


Presenting the clinic (photo courtesy of Dana Landry)

















It was a blast!!






Here are some more pictures from the Conference: 



With trombone extraordinaire Wycliffe Gordon




Guitar Summit: Shawn Purcell, Steve Kovalcheck, and myself





With jazz legend/educator Jamey Aebersold
With composer/arranger Gordon Goodwin






With the winners of last year's Composition showcase. L to R: Dave Stamps, myself, Rubén Alvárez, José Gurria-Cardenas, and Carter Brodkorb

Jazz legend David Liebman

MORE NEWS!!

On our way back I learned that my participation on last year's JEN Conference had been selected as one of the "Positive news of 2012" in Dominican Republic by prominent TV personality Alicia Ortega. That was really cool!!! My deepest gratitude to Ms. Ortega and her work team.
Here's a link to the report (in Spanish)


Well, until next time. I wish you the best in 2013 and will keep you posted on the many things that are on my plate as they evolve.

Blessings to all,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Nuestro Primer Libro Infantil, Del Otro Lado de la Calle, Esta Disponible!!! Wanda se inspiró en mi composición "From Across the Stre...